We had a good turn out of 34 members and 25 guests for our Member/Guest day at West Hill. This was our third meeting of the year - the first (at St Georges Hill) was bitterly cold, the second (Betchworth) was extremely wet and so I feared the worst with a forecast of showers and electrical storms: in the event we fared pretty well with a short sprinkling of rain but mainly very pleasant, warm weather.
All in all, the day went well as the course was in great nick - they had recently had a couple of significant events and so the greens were pretty slick: coupled with West Hill's tricky borrows, this made for some challenging putting but, even through gritted teeth, I had to admit that it was a very fair challenge!
We were well looked after and lunch was generally OK but we have made representations to the Secretary about (a) the absence of a carvery option and (b) certain main course options running out. Our President, Roger Prowting, welcomed the members & guests and covered some key points: -
• A reminder that we are using a rotation of Clubs for our member/guest days: currently our pool is Betchworth, West Hill, Woking with Hindhead being used for the first time at our next member/guest day on July 30th
• Some FMI members are joining us at Hindhead and the overall take up is encouraging so get those entries (with lots of guests!) in soon
• The superb, MTGS dinner takes place on December 3rd and is not be missed
• A really sincere "thank you" to the day's sponsor - Jigsaw Finance. Nigel Hawkins' continued sponsorship is very much appreciated: unfortunately he had to send his apologies for not being able to attend the meeting
• The bench mark score for the day was 29 Stableford points: anybody scoring more than that was a bandit and a lower score meant that time on the practice range was called for: guess how many points our esteemed President scored?!
Roger then presented the prizes and trophies as follows: -
1. Steve Wright (off 14 but next time out13) 40 - a remarkable score. Marcham Salver
2. Eric Cross (11) 38 Mercantile Cup
3. Martin Derrick (14) 37 - unlucky not to win a trophy with such a good score
1. Eddie Clark (17 and now cut to 15) 35 Craig Trophy
2. Steve Drewitt (22) 32 - this popular award was greeted with incredulity by player and audience alike! William Glass Cup
3. John Wake (16) 30 - on count back, pipping Sean Friedman, Mark Hinge & Rober Maxwell
1. Steve Loffler (18) 37 - our President's carefully chosen guest!
2. Peter Owen (8) 35
3. Chris Iley (15) 32
Division 1 Barry Williams (6) Division 2 Stuart Noakes (18)
Nearest the Pin
Division 1 Barry Williams (6) Division 2 John Wake (16)
MTGS Golf Manager
Motor Trades Golfing Society
1926-2021 Motor Trades Golfing Society. All rights reserved. Thank you to all the Golf clubs for use of photographs of their Club Houses.
Design and technology by Webbability
Content by MTGS members