We had a splendid day at Swinley Forest yesterday. The course was in pretty good condition although the fairways had not fully recovered from last year's scorching. The weather was perfect - a little windy, dry & sunny but not too hot. The lay out is superb - a shortish course that, at first, you feel you can score really well on but the greens are very tricky with some devilish run-offs: as you will see from the attached results, some scores were pretty good but there were a number that weren't!
Over a superb lunch, the President (Martin Derrick) said a few words: -
* 53 people played today (34 members)
* Welcome to all and especially the 19 guests and to William Hunt, playing as a member for the first time
* Our two remaining major events of the year are at Hankley Common (Member/Guest day on August 27th) and the Members' day at Walton Heath on September 12th.
* There have been two recent changes to our 2019 diary of events: -
1. We are resurrecting a BEN charity day after a one year break. It will take place at Effingham on November 21st - do get your teams in place!
2. After a number of years falling attendances, we have decided to switch our annual Dinner at The Dorchester to a Lunch at the RAC Club in Pall Mall on December 12th.
* A sincere thank you to our sponsor today, Lease Car Credit courtesy of Oliver Harris who will be presenting the prizes
After lunch, there was a 7-hole Texas Scramble: two teams finished joint second (both 3 under gross and with identical deductions for handicaps): -
2= Oliver & Nick Harris, Robin Stewart & Nick Bye
2= Vip & Kevin Khanna, Ian Wilson & Peter Featherstone
The winners were a magnificent 5 under gross: -
1 Joff Suter, Eric Wright, Andrew Marples & Anthony Chicheportiche
Having the prize giving over lunch (to ensure that the prizewinners were there & had a good audience to recognise their achievements) meant that there was a bit of a log jam on the first tee for the Scramble. We will see if this can be avoided next year as we will be returning to Swinley on June 25th 2020. I have got agreement that next year we can play the morning Stableford in four-balls which will be a major improvement for a member/guest day.
The day was rounded off with a number of us on the patio overlooking the beautiful course and enjoying a very good afternoon tea!
All the best,