On a gloriously sunny day, a slightly disappointing field of 53 (including 20 guests) enjoyed a great golf course in superb condition. The golf was sandwiched between a bacon roll and an excellent lunch.
Our President, Paul Williams, spoke over lunch and the key points he made were: -
• Welcome to all present, especially the guests and also Bob Hughes & Craig Lacey playing with us as members for the first time.
• Our three remaining major events of the year are at Hadley Wood (you should already have your invitation for the Member/Guest day on June 19th), Hindhead (Member/Guest day on July 27th) and the Members' day at Walton Heath on September 14th.
• As a result of your questionnaire feedback, we moved a member/guest day north of the river for the first time in a long while. So far, the response for Hadley Wood is very poor: please support this event if you possibly can. (be advised that this message was delivered with menaces!)
• A really sincere "thank you" to our new sponsor today – Raphaels Bank. Two of our members are part of their senior management team – Miles Roberts and Carl Virgo. I am delighted that Carl is here today and he will be presenting the prizes.
Paul also announced that he will be sharing extracts from his book on how to play golf each time that he speaks at an MTGS event during his year as President. On this occasion, he shared a key piece of advice “make sure that you line up your fourth putt very carefully!”
The results were as follows: -
Name Hcp Score
Members Division One
1st Mercantile Trophy Roger Prowting 13 39
2nd Motor Trophy Martin Derrick 13 34
3rd Douglas Drummond 12 33 c/b
Members Division Two
1st John Hopkins Trophy Derek Allen 17 36 c/b
2nd Wentworth Cup Max Angliss 22 36 c/b
3rd Mark Hinge 17 33
1st Paul Beck 18 38
2nd Patrick Charlton 18 36
3rd Brian Dorling 14 34
Division One (All)
Longest Drive Chris Strong (guest) 15
Nearest the Pin Chris Strong (guest) 15
Division Two (All)
Longest Drive Craig Lacey 19
Nearest the Pin *
* The pin was placed evilly just over a bunker: the green was firm: sadly, nobody in Division Two finished on the green!!
Roger’s fine exploits earned him a two-shot handicap cut whilst Derek and Max will enjoy one each!
The course was in magnificent condition – particularly the greens. The current plan is to return to Woking next year but not on the day before a Bank Holiday!
Terry Wills 26/05/17
Motor Trades Golfing Society
1926-2021 Motor Trades Golfing Society. All rights reserved. Thank you to all the Golf clubs for use of photographs of their Club Houses.
Design and technology by Webbability
Content by MTGS members