We were blessed with fine weather at St Georges Hill today although it was a little nippy at times. The course was in pretty good nick although the greens were not quite at their best due to a complete lack of rain since they were hollow tined two weeks ago.
The turnout was pretty good at 59 compared to last year’s 52. There were some notable absentees – the 2016/7 President, Ray Sommerville, who is ill: the 2017/8 President, Paul Williams, in Dubai (tough but someone has to do it!) and the 2017/2018 Vice President, Martin Derrick. The main points covered, after an excellent lunch, by Roger Prowting were: -
• A welcome to all present and a particular one to three first timers as MTGS members - Martin Broome, Carl Virgo and Craig Purvey
• A sincere "thank you" for the continued sponsorship of our prizes by BCA (Craig Purvey is their Chief Commercial Officer)
• Thanks to Terry Wills for organising the event and for the assistance provided by John Etches
• Our opening event of the season was very successful namely the Committee Cup played at New Zealand GC where finally the Committee managed a victory albeit a very narrow one!
• Today’s especially low price reflected the compensation received for the poor condition of St Georges Hill last year
• A reminder that this is the first of our five "majors" to find the player of the year: the other four are Woking (May 26th), Hadley Wood – our venture north of the river – (June 19th), Hindhead (July 27th) and Walton Heath (September 14th). Get your guests lined up for the three member/guest days
The results are detailed below. Adam Kendrick’s performance was very special – playing 18 holes in level par!
A short, thinly attended AGM completed the day - the minutes will be posted on the website in due course. Here is my personal summary: -
• A society in overall very good shape (including its finances)
• The positive financial situation means that this year the Society will subsidise members’ costs for member/guest days as already evidenced by the Woking invite recently sent out
• Paul Williams confirmed as this year's President
• Martin Derrick voted in as Vice President
MTGS Golf Manager
13th April 2017
Name H/c Pts Countback
1st Car Mart Challenge Bowl Adam Kendrick (cut 2) 3 39
2nd Wagon Trophy Martin Davies 6 36 18 – 18
3rd Bob Singh 15 36 20 – 16
1st Ace Trophy Pawan Kenth (cut 1) 24 36
2nd J Tait Bowl Sean Costa 17 34 15 - 19
3rd Vip Khanna 17 34 16 - 18
Div 1 Hole
Longest Drive 6th Martin Davies 6
Nearest the Pin 14th Martin Broome 12
Longest Drive 15th Larry Hawkins 18
Nearest the Pin 11th Craig Brown 18
Motor Trades Golfing Society
1926-2021 Motor Trades Golfing Society. All rights reserved. Thank you to all the Golf clubs for use of photographs of their Club Houses.
Design and technology by Webbability
Content by MTGS members