We enjoyed wonderful weather today at West Hill. I only heard very positive feedack about the course - "a great golfing challenge" and "in lovely condition" would probably be a fair summary. The food and service were first class as were the West Hill organisers: we were made to feel very welcome. 37 members participated along with 20 guests (including some FMI members who were taking part in their own annual competition as well as ours).
In his welcome address, our President, Eamon, covered: -
• The fact that we are now using a rotation of Clubs for our member/guest days: currently our pool comprises Betchworth, West Hill & Woking with Hindhead coming on board next year.
• His view that West Hill was a great addition to our pool (this is our second year) and that the first nine holes at Hindhead are very special indeed.
• Our new philosopy on prizes by offering John Lewis vouchers and today, for the first time ever, Pro V1s adorned with the MTGS logo which look superb.
• The two remaining major events of the year are at Woking (you should already have your invitation for the Member/Guest day on August 1st) and the Members' day at Walton Heath on September 11th.
• A really sincere "thank you" to the sponsor of the day - Jigsaw Finance: Nigel Hawkins' continued sponsorship is very much appreciated (applause from the attendees): unfortunately Nigel was unable to be present on the day.
The prizegiving followed and the full list of prizewinners is in the table below. The scoring conditions were tough and so Martin Howes & Douglas Drummonds's scores in coming first and second respectively in Division 1 were particularly impressive. Ray Fisher and Trevor Teer took the silverware in Division 2 and could only be separated on count back. This was Ray's second consecutive victory which has earned him another one point handicap cut (Martin's handicap also being cut by one shot). John Saleh's guest Brian Woodburn enjoyed a remarkable "clean sweep" by winning the guests' competition, nearest the pin and longest drive!
Before he carried out the FMI prizegiving, Brian Childs expressed his sincere thanks to the MTGS for allowing FMI to participate at West Hill.
Finally, just in case any of you are into serious long term planning, our three member/guest days in 2015 will be: -
• Betchworth, Monday May 18th
• West Hill, Thursday July 2nd
• Hindhead, Thursday July 30th
All the best,
Terry Wills (MTGS Golf Manager)
Members Name H/c Pts
1st Marcham Salver Martin Howes 10 37
2nd Mercantile Cup Douglas Drummond 12 36
3rd Oliver Harris 12 32 c/b
1st Craig Trophy Ray Fisher 16 35 c/b
2nd William Glass Cup Trevor Teer 18 35 c/b
3rd David Finneberg 24 33 c/b
1st Brian Woodburn 16 35c/b
2nd Ray Grainger 10 35 c/b
3rd Brian Childs 20 33
Longest Drive 3rd Steve Dent 11
Nearest the Pin 6th Colin Nicholl 7
Longest Drive 15th Brian Woodburn 16
Nearest the Pin 13th Brian Woodburn 16
Motor Trades Golfing Society
1926-2021 Motor Trades Golfing Society. All rights reserved. Thank you to all the Golf clubs for use of photographs of their Club Houses.
Design and technology by Webbability
Content by MTGS members